To commemorate the contribution of Professor Rob Gous to animal nutrition, and more specifically poultry nutrition in South Africa, the Animal Feed Manufacturers Association (AFMA) annually awards the Professor Rob Gous Scholarship. This scholarship is funded by Chemuniqué (Pty) Ltd.
We invite all tertiary training institutions in South Africa to nominate a student(s) who has/have registered for post-graduate studies in poultry science for the Professor Rob Gous Scholarship. The scholarship will include standard university fees (± R26 000), as well as a monthly allowance of R2 000 which will be paid by Chemuniqué (Pty) Ltd in the form of a monthly salary. However, the monthly allowance will be reviewed on an annual basis, based on the performance of the candidate. In addition, any additional expenses will have to be funded by the student or via other means.
The award will be presented during the AFMA Symposium to be hosted on 29 October 2019 at the CSIR Conference Centre in Pretoria.
To qualify for the Professor Rob Gous Scholarship, the following criteria will be applicable to the successful candidate:
- be previously disadvantaged as defined by the requirements of BBBEE;
- have excelled in his/her undergraduate animal science studies;
- exhibit a good track record of diligent class attendance and enthusiastic practical work;
- have a track record of involvement in various university activities beyond normal academic studies;
- have a career aspiration in the South African feed and/or poultry industry;
- be prepared to be mentored by leaders in the above industries; and
- participate in industry activities during the duration of his/her studies.
The evaluation will be based on the applications and the format and appearance of the application will be taken into account. In addition, nominees could also be invited for an interview with Chemuniqué (Pty) Ltd and AFMA.
How to apply for the Professor Rob Gous Scholarship 2020
Candidates can download and complete the attached Application Form and submit it to AFMA by Friday 18 October. The selection committee will not consider any late nominations.
The application for the scholarship must be accompanied by the following documentation:
- completed application form by the university;
- motivation for the scholarship, as submitted to the university;
- official examination results stamped by the University;
- report from the faculty regarding a track record of diligent class attendance and enthusiastic practical work; and
- a motivation/report on involvement in various university activities beyond normal academic studies;
If possible, applications must be submitted to AFMA by email, although annexures could be faxed or posted but must reach AFMA on or before the closing date of Friday, 18 October 2019. Please contact the AFMA office at +27 12 663 9097 or email@example.com for more information.